Friday, November 04, 2005

Razorback Stew

Football season is in full swing. And if you live in Arkansas, that means Razorback Football!! And if you've read this far, you are probably sobbing.

On Saturday, November 5, Arkansas plays South Carolina. So much is riding on this game. For South Carolina, who comes in 5-3, all they need is one more win to become bowl eligible. For Arkansas, it means a bright light in a pretty depressing season; we are 2-5 so far, and we have not won a conference game this year. Arkansas needs to win out against SC, then against Ole Miss, then Miss. St., then must travel to Baton Rouge to take on LSU, to become bowl eligible at 6-5. So what are the Hogs' odds? You'd have an easier time getting Dan Quayle elected president than for the Hogs to win out.

SC comes in on a high note, coming off one of the greatest victories that football program has ever had, beating Tennesee in Knoxville for the very first time last week, 16-15. Keep in mind that after Arkansas, their road gets tougher, but beating Arkansas makes them bowl eligible. So, SC will be coming in with a purpose.

For me, and I am a Razorback fan, the Hogs season ended for me after the second game of the season, when Vanderbilt beat the Hogs 28-24. It was Vandy's first road SEC victory in four years, and it came at the expense of the Hogs. I knew USC would tear us apart, and they did, 70-17. Since then, we beat N. Texas, but lost to Alabama, Auburn, & Georgia. In all fairness, we were in those three games, played tough, but we couldn't close the deal.

To a certain extent, we did play spoiler against Georgia. Starting Bulldog quarterback D. J. Shockley injured his knee against the Hogs & did not play last week against Florida. They needed him - Florida beat Georgia 14-10. Shockley is the most underrated QB in the NCAA, & his leadership on the field was sorely missed last week. Had he been healthy, I believe Georgia would still be undefeated. As it is, Georgia needs to win out to get to the SEC championship game against Alabama (can you believe they are 8-0?).

Even though I am a Razorback fan, I am an even bigger fan of the Texas Longhorns! We are on course for a USC-Texas showdown for the national title. And my pick for Heisman? Texas QB Vince Young. Someone is napping if he doesn't win.

As for SC, Steve Spurrier said at the beginning of the season that the goal was getting to a bowl game. Well, Steve, you are one victory away.

I know Nettiemac is reading this, & being from SC, I know she will probably have some input. Here is my final score prediction: South Carolina 24, Arkansas 14.

Sorry, Hogs. Just can't work up the confidence this season. However, a lot of freshmen are getting playing time this season. Hope for the future? We'll see.

Later...

Bolivar "Hook 'em Horns!!" Shagnasty

2 Comments:

Blogger nettiemac said...

Let me put it this way: we (USC) squeaked one out. We got a W, but 'tweren't pretty by any stretch. The Hawgs were definitely a challenge...

PS: An ASU man pulling for the Hawgs??? That's like me pulling for the Citadel -- YECK!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Talmadge said...

Nettiemac, Arkansas is less like your typical Deep South states with a heated in-state rivalry; it's more of a Tennessee. Much as ASU has tried to be the Clemson to UA's USC, or the Eyeburn to Tuscaloser's Crimson Turd (did I just say that ... eewwwww, if my parents happen on this page, I've just been disowned!!) ... anyhoo, much as A-State has tried, there probably will never be a true rivalry with the Hogs.

Speaking of our beloved, but ne'er-do-well, Tribe ... I dont' like the looks of what I saw today. That loss to Middle Tenn. was like the bad ol' days of the '90s. Ouch.

And Troy Not-State U. chalked up a win. This does NOT look good going into next week, people.

Hear me now, Mr. Roberts: Another win against my Most Detested Football Team would be most appreciated. Don't let me down, man.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home