Sunday, November 27, 2005

Time Finally Runs Out on the Hogs...

Hello everyone! As noted, time has finally run out on the Hogs' season. That means that all of my Kroger employees have to go back to wearing Kroger uniforms on Saturdays! Sorry! But hey, the NFL playoffs are around the horizon, & I will let my employees wear NFL gear on the weekends when the playoffs start. See? I'm not as cold-hearted as some of you think I am!

Anyway, the Hogs finish the season 4-7, 2-6 in the conference. The most frustrating stat about the Hogs this year is that the last three conference losses were by a combined 9 points - 4 to SC, 3 to Georgia, 2 to LSU. We lost by 4 to Vandy, 11 to Alabama, 17 to Auburn, but in the latter three games, we had leads in those games & could not hold on to them. The Hogs could have easily been 10-1 & playing in the SEC Championship game. As it is, LSU & Georgia play for the SEC Championship. I believe the winner of that game heads to the Sugar Bowl.

LSU has been a strange one this year. They come in 10-1, their one loss to a team that they should have beaten. They were up by 21 to Tennessee, but Tennessee came out of nowhere & beat LSU in overtime, 30-27. Not to mention that they almost had another meltdown this past Friday against the Hogs. They led at one point, 19-3, but the Hogs came out of nowhere & almost played spoiler. LSU won, 19-17, & it definitely was not pretty. There were two teams that had major meltdowns as the season progressed - Alabama & Georgia. Both teams started out 8-0 before falling apart. Alabama lost to LSU in OT & got creamed by Auburn. Georgia lost two in a row after D.J. Shockley got injured against the Hogs. It almost made me wonder who wants the SEC Championship bad enough to take it.

The most inconsistent team in the SEC this season? My vote is for Vanderbilt. Vandy gets their first road SEC victory in four years this season against the Hogs, then loses to a division II team (Middle Tenn. St.), then takes Florida to the limit (Florida beat Vandy in 2OT)? What is up with that?

The biggest, most welcome surprise in the SEC? My vote goes to South Carolina. After the embarrassment of the fourth-quarter incident in last years' Clemson game, and after Lou Holtz retiring, I thought that teams would walk all over SC this season. Wrong. Steve Spurrier is back on top this season, SC got very huge victories over Tennessee and Florida this year (I especially loved seeing SC beat Florida), and SC is heading to a bowl game, which was the #1 goal of Spurrier this season. Also, beating Florida this season was HUGE for recruiting. I personally think that the tide is turning, & in future seasons, SC is going to be the standard-bearer for the SEC.

Although, and this question is directed to my friend nettiemac, why did SC lose to Clemson this year?? I know it really pains you to hear that question! Oh well - I'll give credit where credit is due: Clemson is tough. But SC still should have beaten them.

Biggest meltdown this season? DUH! Tennessee. They started the season ranked in the top 5, then collapsed right from the beginning. They lost to SC for the very first time in history in Knoxville, then lose to Vandy, got creamed by Notre Dame, the list is endless. Dishonorable mention: the Arkansas Razorbacks. After losing to Vandy the second game of the season, I told myself that the season is already over. 2-6 in the SEC, 4-7 overall - need I say more?

At least this season, the national title picture is very clear. USC and Texas are the two best teams in the NCAA. OK, so Texas did struggle a little against Texas A&M this past Friday, but this is a rivalry in which records do not matter. Those two teams will ALWAYS play each other tough. Think of Dallas & Washington in the NFL. Everytime they collide, it is always a good game. Texas vs. Texas A&M is no exception. However, as much as I would love to see my Longhorns bring home a national championship, I believe USC is too tough. I don't think it will be an embarrassment like what USC did to Oklahoma last year. I think this game will be much closer. But I still think USC will make it two in a row. Nevertheless, I will be cheering for the Longhorns! Hook 'em Horns!!

I will also cheer for the SEC teams playing in bowl games this season: LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, & Florida will all represent the SEC in bowl games. Go SEC!!

More to come later...

Bolivar "Have I gone football mad here?" Shagnasty

1 Comments:

Blogger nettiemac said...

Bolivar, I have no idea why we allowed Clemson to score more points than us. Beats me.......

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home