Tuesday, December 20, 2005

In the Face of Adversity...

...how about something inspirational?

After Chicago stomped all over Atlanta Sunday evening, Sportscenter came on. Since I had to work all day Sunday, I had to catch up on the NFL scores. Let's see... Indy FINALLY loses, the Cowboys get stomped, Atlanta gets stomped, Houston FINALLY wins their second game, Minnesota loses for the first time in 7 games, and so on.

Then there was a story about Tulane University women's basketball team playing in New Orleans for the first time since Hurricane Katrina back last August. There wasn't a lot of people in the arena, but what they lacked in numbers, they made up for in enthusiasm. I do not remember who they played, but Tulane won, 72-60, in what appeared to be a good contest. After the game, Tulane's coach expressed how happy she was to be home in front of the home crowd, but it was a Tulane player that got my attention. This player's enthusiasm was contagious! She expressed that it was good to be home, playing at home, playing in front of hometown people, and getting a victory over a tough team. She was just so happy to be home.

After that report, cueing back to the ESPN studio, sportscaster Stuart Scott stated this: "If you can't cheer for that, you do not have a pulse." Amen, brother. I actually got misty-eyed when he said that.

It is just a reminder that the best way to deal with adversity is to tackle it head-on. This year has been full of adversity, but everything is heading towards a resolution - some takes longer than others! It is also a reminder that no matter how rough my life seems to be, there are people who are in worse shape than I am in. I hired an enthusiastic New Orleans native who needed work & money. I knew that he wouldn't be with us long, but he worked very hard. He was very upset to leave us, and we were upset to lose him, but I felt proud knowing that I made a difference, albeit a small one, in his life just by letting him work for us. He worked very hard, & was a godsend for us during sanitation inspection time. I got a call from him not too long ago saying that he was home trying to put it all back together again, but he said that he would never forget what we did for him. He told me that he is definitely coming to Hot Springs for vacation next summer. I told him to look me up & we'll just chill out together. I can't wait.

It also makes me think, especially during this time of year, that (at least I hope) I have made a difference in someone's life. I wonder sometimes, but then I think of all the friends I have made over the years. One I have had for almost 20 years. Another one I have had for 15 years. Another one I have had for 5 years. The young lady I picked as my dance partner in the senior play when no one else would. The same young lady I danced with at my senior prom when no one else asked to dance. Another young lady named Seraphim who married my friend Talmadge & who is every bit as important to me as Tal. Another young lady I met 5 years ago at Tal & Sera's wedding who, especially as of late, keeps me going with her wonderfulness & thoughtfulness.

That is one thing that keeps me going - knowing that somehow, somewhere, & someway, I feel like I have made an impact on someone's life. "It's a Wonderful Life" has always been one of my favorite movies, and the final scene rings true for me. My ex-wife could never own what I have.

Coming up soon, my New Year's Resolutions! This may be a long post...

Later, and keep "Going for the One"...

Bolivar "Rock On, Tulane" Shagnasty

6 Comments:

Blogger Talmadge said...

Bolivar:

What a 19 years it's been! It's a long way from a 2AM booth at Larry's, a menial job at Bonanza and a bizarre gig at KASU: "Next on MOODS IN MUSIC, a back-to-back Jim Nabors orgy...."

What's that saying about "to have a friend, be a friend" ?? Something like that. You have, as well. 1997 was a surreal year on my life's journey, and you helped keep me a step ahead of the white-coated men!
(Ha-HAAAAAAH!!!)

Have you made a difference? Holy crap, if differences were potholes you'd have more on your street than I-30 in Arkansas!

And that's all I have to say about that.

--Talmadge "Gump" Gleck

2:58 PM  
Blogger Seraphim9 said...

I could feel what a truly special person you were before I even met you by how Talmadge would talk about you. And then when I met you, within a day you had already assigned me a nickname! I know you as much more than just "my husband's friend from college" because I consider you MY friend as well. And I know that I am not just your friend because I am part of a package deal. :)

I'm so proud of you, in the maturity and class that you have shown in dealing with this adversity. I truly admire your strength. I would have crumbled into a million pieces had it been me in a similar situation. And punched a few walls.

I love you, and can't wait to see you again so that I can give you one of my famous Seraphim hugs!

And I'll try not to lock the keys in the trunk of the car again. ;-)

--SG

3:44 PM  
Blogger Seraphim9 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Seraphim9 said...

Oh....and I didn't mean "special" as in "rides the short bus" special. I hope you know that. {grin}

Then again....you and Talmadge together.....one might wonder.....

To quote a modified Gumpism: "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know where you're gonna find the nuts."

Adieu for nieu,
Seraphim

3:52 PM  
Blogger nettiemac said...

A million hugs back to you!!!! You are a good friend whom I hope to call a friend for decades to come!

A back-to-back Jim Nabors orgy....???????? GAAAAK! ;)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Talmadge said...

Yes, Jim Nabors. You had to have seen the KASU record library in all its glory. A complete study in the recorded works of Gomer Pyle, I kid you not. "Golden Throats" before its time. Radio Vietnam before Mr. Cronauer entered the building.

At least a number of those nights were followed by "Whoopi the Waitress" taking our order at Larry's, and us waxing deep philosophibabble while most of Adult Jonesboro slept, visions of tornadoes and private clubs dancing in their heads.

I gotta stop before I get too sentimental. This just ain't right.

-Talmadge "Will I be able to enjoy a freakin' BEER in Jonesboro before I die??!!" Gleck

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home