Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Stolen From Nettiemac (part 1)

Sorry, Nettie, sweetheart, but I stole this from you.

10 years ago I was...

Getting promoted to assistant grocery manager, a job I held all of 5 months before getting promoted to grocery manager.

5 years ago I was...

Getting ready for the New Year, & waiting for a phone call from Human Resources to see if I would be accepted into the store management training program. I was also counting down the days until the wedding of the century (read: Tal & Sera's wedding).

One year ago I was...

In very deep sorrow, knowing that my soon-to-be-ex-wife just gave birth to who I thought was my daughter. And I was banned from the delivery room. A cop was on standby just in case I showed up.

Yesterday I was...

Working. And wishing I was doing something else.

5 snacks I enjoy the most...

1. Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies
2. Doritos nacho cheese tortilla chips
3. M & Ms with peanuts - the only one that matters
4. Reese's peanut butter cups
5. Bud Light (does this qualify as a snack?)

5 songs I know all the words to...

...do I have to answer this one? OK, here goes:
1. PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC / Wild Cherry
2. DUST IN THE WIND / Kansas
3. TALK TALK / The Music Machine
4. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN / The Animals
5. BLACKBIRD / The Beatles

why these 5? Well, Wild Cherry's first album was the first rock album I ever owned, & the other 4 I have played on stage before. In 1979, at the age of 11, I played "Blackbird" on stage at a Holiday Inn for a guitar recital. It was my second guitar recital, but first with a vocal. Scared sh*tless would be an understatement, but it came off really well. I still play "Blackbird" to this day.

5 things I would do with a billion dollars...

1. Buy the rights to the Beatles catalog.
2. Buy a mansion with a huge room either in the basement or to the side of the house to put a recording studio in.
3. Help out my family any way I could. I would also put my nephews through college.
4. Buy a great big mansion for Tal & Sera, & buy Nettiemac anything she wants.
5. Drive to Fazolis & show off my newfound wealth to my ex-wife & go like this: "Na-na-na-na-boo-boo! You can't have some! Ha, Ha, Ha!"

5 places ideal for running away to...

1. Coronado Beach in San Diego
2. the Ozarks in NW Arkansas - the only good thing about this state!
3. Niagara Falls, Canada
4. Rincon, GA
5. Liberty, SC

5 items you'll never see me wear...

1. Suspenders - never again!
2. Bell-bottoms - never again!
3. Cowboy hats - never again!
4. a wedding ring - never again!
5. makeup - I wore makeup once for my junior play in high school, but I was young & needed the money...

5 best TV shows...

1. College football on Saturdays
2. NFL on Sundays
3. NASCAR, but only when football is not in season
4. "Friends"
5. "That '70s Show"

5 biggest joys in life...

1. my friends - I don't have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have would go through every circle of hell with me, as I would for them.
2. my music collection. That's one thing that never lets me down, & it supports any mood I want.
3. my nephews. I have enjoyed watching these two kids growing into young boys. I am looking forward to seeing them grow into young men.
4. my faith. I have never claimed to be a religious person - more spiritual than anything. In this day & age, one would be foolish not to believe in God. My faith & my convictions have pulled me through many a crisis.
5. my job. When I first started working for Kroger, I swore that I would be there 6 months. I am almost at the 17-year mark. The pay is really good, but the benefits & the insurance package is tough to beat. The fact that Kroger has been around since 1883 helps, too.

5 favorite toys...

1. My Gibson "Flying V" guitar
2. My Casio keyboard
3. my Roland digital 8-track recording studio
4. my stereo system
5. my computer

Thanks, Nettie - part 2 to come. You all have been warned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Talmadge said...

I believe some comments and/or "indignant retorts" are in order...

I was also counting down the days until the wedding of the century (read: Tal & Sera's wedding).

January 6 marks FIVE YEARS. And Seraphim has yet to run screaming. She must love me.

A cop was on standby just in case I showed up.

You should've bribed him with a Fazoli's breadstick.... >:-D

In 1979, at the age of 11, I played "Blackbird" on stage at a Holiday Inn for a guitar recital.

With, or without, backing ensemble Murph & The Magic Tones?

1. Buy the rights to the Beatles catalog.

Please. I'd give an arm and a leg for it -- seeing as how its current owner already gave a nose for it...

4. Buy a great big mansion for Tal & Sera, & buy Nettiemac anything she wants.

Two words: Karaoke studio. I'm practicing my Phil Razzuto, people.

2. the Ozarks in NW Arkansas - the only good thing about this state!

I told Seraphim that the Arkansas mountains for my money far outshines the lower Appalachians - much as I love 'em. And we're looking forward to a late-February journey to Eureka Springs!

4. a wedding ring - never again!

I'll answer that with something I posted to an e-mail list a long time ago: "Marriage is an eight-letter cuss word. To hell with the very concept. Never again."

I said that in January 1998. Seraphim would enter my life about a month later. I'm now on the verge of celebrating five blessed and happy years of this "eight-letter cuss word."

Close the door. Lock it, if you must. But never throw away the key.

-Talmadge "Swingin' K-VORCE Good Guy" Gleck

12:43 PM  
Blogger nettiemac said...

You warned me. It was a great read anyway!!!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home